Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Keeping Company with the Dying


I start my weekends by keeping Mrs. G company. Mrs. G is dying. She is a kind woman who has slept through two of our three visits. I mostly sit and read. If she's awake, I read to her or talk with her. I feel connected to her. I pray for her during the week and for her son, A, who is so attentive and loving as he cares for her. 

Keeping company with the dying means being present to them. Mission Hospice says its mission is to provide support for clients so they can have dignity and independence for as long as possible. As a patient care volunteer, I often read, play music on my phone, talk or just sit quietly at the bedside of my patients. I keep them company. I enjoy this work. Like most things in life that are worthwhile, it isn't earth-shattering or stunning. It's quiet, simple and unobtrusive. 

I often feel so much calmer after a visit with a patient than before.  Just sitting quietly for two or three hours can be quite peaceful. My life is so busy and I'm often going here and there for meetings or to visit loved ones or to work or school. It's a gift to be able to sit quietly and not think about my own life for a while. 

The main reason I like this work is that I feel I'm truly helping the caregivers. I know I'm providing much needed relief so they can go grocery shopping or wash their car, or just go into another room and sleep. I'm glad to give six hours a week or so to others. Often these are adult children in their 50s who have very little support in caregiving for their dying parent. They often have full-time jobs, and they are trying to manage care for their dying parent on top of everything else. I'm grateful for the opportunity to help them. And they are grateful for me. Their eyes tell me as I leave, as do their "thank yous" how much they appreciate the break they've received. Just that -- a sincere word of thanks -- does a world of good. It lifts my spirit and buoys me up as I return home to my family. 

This interaction, this brief exchange of gratitude, is so simple, and yet it brings happiness in general. I find that I have more patience for others. I don't get as flustered by life's inconveniences. I am kinder to people -- family, friends, strangers, customer service representatives -- because really our energy in this present moment, is all we have and I'd rather spend it in kindness and patience than anger or irritation. I'd rather treat people, animals, plants, the earth, and moments with kindness, gentleness and love than run roughshod over them to arrive at the end of my life -- or any moment of my life -- and find that I'm friendless because I've been a poor friend. Or that I have plenty of things but no one to share them with because I wasn't attentive to others as I acquired these things. 

Relationships are the heart of life. As Christians we are called into community with others. We aren't really Christians without community. It's only in relationship to others that we see our own strengths and weaknesses and work on them. We make mistakes and we mess up. We ask for forgiveness and we give it freely to others. This is how we fully live. 

I'm grateful that keeping company with the dying has taught me that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment