Monday, January 12, 2015

Well No Sh*t

Yesterday I worshiped at St. Alban's, El Cajon for the first time as a part of my field education. During the peace, I shook hands with a parishioner who apologized for her allergies and assured me she wasn't sick. 

Her: Peace be with you.

Me: And also with you.

Her: I'm not sick. I have allergies. 

Me: Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Mine have been acting up too. 


Her: People keep saying, "Your nose is pink." Well no sh*t, I tell them. I've been wiping it every five minutes and I've gone through three boxes of tissues already this weekend. I have to get more after church. Of course it's pink.

Me: (laughing) I know, I think it's the weather. I hope you feel better soon.

Her: Thanks. So glad to have you with us.

Me: Thank you. I'm glad to be here.

I loved that she swore freely in church and was completely unapologetic about it. It is an example of a person who has integrated her authentic self to the point that she has no qualms about speaking freely in God's house. I appreciated that about her and I think God does, too.  

The atmosphere was lively as people moved throughout the whole sanctuary. It seemed that everyone shared the peace with everyone else. For a newcomer, the lulls in between handshakes were a bit worrisome, because you didn't know if you should venture out to other pews, or stay put. I did a little of both before this incident above. No music was playing, but plenty of happy sounds could be heard as the children poured into the sanctuary from their Sunday school. 


I was impressed by the kids. Father Madsen's sermon consisted of a series of questions about God and the idea that God is love. The kids were right on point, and offered creative answers to his rather straightforward questions that helped to enlarge the conversation. I look forward to teaching them in Sunday school in a couple of weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment