Thursday, January 22, 2015

Stove Sadness: Critical Incident Report #1

Critical Incident Report

1.  Describe the event including critical verbal and nonverbal communication and your responses.

When I have been at St. Alban's over the past two weeks I have noticed the smell of leaking gas in the parish hall. I was there on Tuesday morning and it was the worst it has been so I said something to Father Madsen and the parish administrator, Denise Cote. We were in the parish office, Denise at her computer, Dave in a chair and I was standing in front of both of them. I asked if they noticed the smell of gas coming from the kitchen and Denise said, "Oh yes, so many people say that they notice it now."

Dave said, "It's usually worst at the beginning of the week. It's the old stove. The pilots leak or get blown out."

I said, "I think there are groups in the church that may be able to help you with getting a new stove." I was thinking of the Women of St. James, the Women of St. Bartholomew's, and Christ Church Thrift Shop, as well as UTO grants and Fearless Love grants.

Dave said, "I think we're past the deadline for UTO grants but can you get me information on the others? I like that stove a lot but it does leak. You can just light the pilots and that makes it better."

After our conversation wrapped up, I went to the kitchen and looked for matches or a lighter to light the pilots, however, I found none. I was hesitant to light a match anywhere in the kitchen anyway because the smell of propane was so strong. I was surprised by how unconcerned about it both Dave and Denise seemed about it. This is a safety issue! The kitchen abuts the parish hall where most of the activities take place. People breathe the gas while eating, receiving food, tutoring and meeting. I decided not to share these thoughts with them because I realized I may not know the whole issue. Budget constraints, personalities within the congregation, difficulties in repairing the leak -- all these are things I had not researched, and probably played a part in this situation.

When I returned to my office that day, I emailed the Women of St. James and asked about what St. Alban's would need to do in order to apply for a grant. I described the stove issue and the many ministries St. Alban's provides for its community. The representative said they would discuss the matter and get back to me. I also double-checked the UTO deadline and it had indeed passed, but only days earlier! I checked with the Women of St. Bartholomew's, but their grants go to educational needs. I also talked with Canon Holland, who renovated the Episcopal Church Center and she recommended Economy Restaurant Equipment and Supply in San Marcos. She purchased the new stove and ovens for the Center from that store and said sometimes they have second-hand items available.

2. Describe any emotions you perceived in others.

I detected slight annoyance or irritation in Denise, ever so slight. She is very kind and friendly, which is great. In her response to my question about the smell of gas, she expressed a sense of "we've been-there-done-that." She has obviously heard this concern numerous times and it doesn't phase her at all. In fact it may annoy her now, just a tad.

I am not sure, but I think Dave may have felt a bit ashamed. He could see that I was concerned about something that is clearly a safety issue, but he had not taken action on resolving this. Perhaps shame is too strong of an emotion. I think he may have felt embarrassed slightly. Here I am, a postulant who has come to his church to help, and I'm questioning him about how he does things. That might be off-putting.

3. Describe your personal feelings about the situation.

I feel strongly that safety concerns should be prioritized and addressed. I know problems that cost money take time to resolve because money does not appear out of thin air. I feel it was appropriate for me to say something to Dave about my concern because it had been growing with each visit to the parish hall, and finally when the smell was so strong, and when we were in a lull between activities, I asked him about it. I feel good about taking action and starting to research grants for St. Alban's and I feel good about holding my tongue and not acting like I could solve this problem that they have been living with for months or perhaps years.

4. If it is a low point, state the problem. If it is a high point, state why it is so.

I view this as a low point. The problem is that St. Alban's does great ministry in its community but it is hindered by this gas leak, which is a real safety concern, and by the fact that it does not have the money to purchase a new stove or repair the leak. I feel concern for the many people who work in and around the kitchen, especially for the kids who come for tutoring once a week. If St. Alban's were a church-on-Sunday-and-that's-it kind of place, this would not be as much of an issue. But they're vibrant and they use that parish hall every day of the week to provide some kind of help to others. Because it is so active, the church needs to take steps, no matter how challenging that may be, to care for the safety of all.

5. If a low point list some other ways you might have responded or handled it; if a high point state any new insights or growth you perceive in the situation.

I suppose it is possible that I could have said nothing to Dave and Denise about this stove issue. I could have quietly researched the grants and options on my own and then approached them later with a solution. I could have simply done nothing and figured that St. Alban's would probably not explode, since it hadn't so far.

6. Deal with the question: "How do I understand or make sense of this incident theologically?"

James 4:2 says "You do not have because you do not ask." In John 14:13, Jesus says, "I will do whatever you ask in my name." The gas leak at St. Alban's can be repaired. It will probably require precious resources, but it is possible to ask for help. If God cares for every human, indeed, every sparrow in the field, then God cares about the gas leak in the parish hall and the impact it has on the people who worship, minister and receive care there. Jesus said that he came into this word - with its gas leaks and money constraints - so that we may have abundant life. Abundance looks like a fully functioning kitchen with fresh air breezing through the rooms of the kitchen, parish hall, classrooms and offices. People working, playing and connecting with one another in a safe space with fresh air -- that is more of a picture of the kingdom than continuous neglect of a significant safety concern that could end up costing the parish a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment